JOHN D WHO...?
John Daniel Wood founded the company in London in 1872 at the age of 23. The first premises of the London Estate Agents were in Mount Street, Mayfair opposite the Connaught Hotel.
He developed his practice with considerable success around the turn of the Century and after the First World War the company regularly took instructions on major houses and country estates. Properties were advertised over the entire back page of The Times and in Country Life magazine. This era included the sale of Dorchester House, Park Lane (now the Dorchester Hotel), Leeds Castle in Kent and Parham Park in Sussex.
In 1930 the company moved headquarters to Berkeley Square where the firm remained until the late 1980s. Commercial and development work became a significant part of the company's business in the 1950s and 1960s followed by an important step in the central London residential field when the Chelsea Green sales office opened in 1966. Further growth in London strongly confirmed the company as a major force in residential sales and lettings and resulted in a network of offices across London and the south of England.
In 1982 the commercial side of the company separated and in 1987 the Residential and Agricultural arm was floated on the London Stock Exchange. Further growth proved attractive to investors and in 1997 the listed company was acquired by Countrywide Assured Group plc, now Countrywide plc, the UK's largest property services group.
Although John D Wood & Co. has a traditional image, we always take the initiative, and remain at the forefront of the industry.
Directors of the company played a leading role in the creation of two important agency movements: CLEA, the organisation of Central London Estate Agents, and ARLA, the body which regulates the country's principal lettings agents.
We also co-developed the market-leading estate agency software system now used extensively throughout the UK.
We were the first estate agent to establish a computer network linking all offices in 1980 and one of the first to launch a property search website in 1995.
Our in-house advertising production department was established when it was still uncommon and we created an in-house Press Office to generate regular editorial comment. The innovation continues: we design and publish our own regular property magazine and our ground-breaking Interior Consultancy service is approaching its tenth year of assisting clients.
Today John D Wood & Co. has seventeen London offices, five country offices and associated offices throughout the south of England. Our range of services include residential sales and lettings in London and the country; land and new homes advice; agricultural sales, acquisitions and estate management; valuations for all purposes; a full surveying service and advice on leasehold enfranchisement and freehold acquisition from our London property surveyors.