John Daniel Wood founded the company in London in 1872 at the age of 23. The first premises of the company were in Mount Street, Mayfair, opposite the Connaught Hotel. He developed his practice with considerable success around the turn of the Century and after the First World War the company regularly took instructions on major houses and country estates. Properties were advertised over the entire back page of The Times and in Country Life magazine. This era included the sale of Dorchester House, Park Lane (now the Dorchester Hotel), Leeds Castle in Kent and Parham Park in Sussex.
In 1930 the company moved headquarters across Mayfair to Berkeley Square, where the firm remained until the late 1980s. Commercial and development work became a significant part of the company’s business in the 1950s and 1960s followed by an important step in the central London residential field when the Chelsea Green sales office opened in 1966. Further growth and branch openings in London established the company as a leader in the residential market, eventually resulting in a network of offices across London and the south of England.
In 1982 the commercial side of the company separated, taking the name ‘John D Wood’ and in 1987 the Residential and Agricultural arm, named ‘John D Wood & Co.’ was floated on the London Stock Exchange, the head office relocating to Curzon Street, W1. Further growth as a PLC and the embracing of modern technology to better serve clients and customers proved attractive to investors and in 1997 the listed company was acquired outright by Hambro Countrywide, which became Countrywide Assured Group plc, now Countrywide plc, the UK’s largest property services group.
Although John D Wood & Co. has a traditional image, we always take the initiative, and remain at the forefront of the industry.
Directors of the company played a leading role in the creation of two important agency movements: CLEA, the organisation of Central London Estate Agents, and ARLA, the body which regulates the country's principal lettings agents.
We also co-developed the market-leading estate agency software system now used extensively throughout the UK.
We were the first estate agent to establish a computer network linking all offices in 1980 and one of the first to launch a property search website in 1995.
Our in-house advertising production department was established when it was still uncommon and we created an in-house Press Office to generate regular editorial comment. The innovation continues: we design and publish our own regular property magazine and our ground-breaking Interior Consultancy service is approaching its tenth year of assisting clients. We are at the forefront of using video including office profiles with client testimonials.
Today John D Wood & Co. has fifteen London offices, five country offices, associated offices throughout the south of England and affiliates abroad. Our range of services include residential sales and lettings in London and the country; land and new homes advice; agricultural sales, acquisitions and estate management; valuations for all purposes; a full surveying service and advice on leasehold enfranchisement and freehold acquisition from our London property surveyors.
We are members of The Property Ombudsman Scheme. For more information on codes of practice and for the consumers guide, please click here.