Bunkers Hill, Beaulieu, Brockenhurst, SO42
- Property Summary
Situated within a few hundred yards of the village, a classic Grade II Listed cottage of period origins for restoration and refurbishment with a potentially fine garden and garaging. Constructed of colour washed brick/block faced…
Situated within a few hundred yards of the village, a classic Grade II Listed cottage of period origins for restoration and refurbishment with a potentially fine garden and garaging. Constructed of colour washed brick/block faced elevations, Chestnut Cottage has contrasting blackened small pane casements surmounted by a characteristic steep pitched wired thatch roof. Arranged over a two floors, the internal accommodation exhibits a wealth of period features with exposed wall and ceiling beamwork. Externally, the cottage stands in a garden that has the potential to be extremely pretty, though is currently overgrown. To one side, set on high ground accessed off the driveway, is a detached garage/workshop, the driveway and its adjacent bay providing ample parking space. To the rear of the cottage is a small overgrown paddock (in the ownership of the Beaulieu Estate).
- Accommodation Summary
4/5 BEDROOMS, BATHROOM, EN SUITE SHOWER ROOM, DRESSING ROOM/BEDROOM 5, SITTING ROOM, DINING HALL, KITCHEN, GARDENS, PAVED SEATING TERRACE, DETACHED GARAGE/WORKSHOP
- Property Attributes
- 1,609 sqft (149 m2)
- Private Parking/Garage
- Full Property Description
- Chestnut Cottage is situated within a few hundred yards of the historic village of Beaulieu. The village forms the heart of the surrounding Estate that in part encompasses the historic maritime hamlet of Bucklers Hard (approximately 2.5 miles south). The village forms the historic seat of the Montagu family who occupy Palace House. The renowned facilities afforded by the Georgian market of Lymington, famed for its river, marinas and yacht clubs, lies some 5 miles south across the open forest of Beaulieu Heath. The neighbouring forest village of Brockenhurst (approximately 4 miles west) affords a diverse range of shops and educational establishments, together with a useful mainline rail connection to London (Waterloo approximately 90 minutes).
- ACCOMMODATION IN MORE DETAIL
- STORM PORCH
- With panelled door to:
- DINING HALL
- Concealed stairwell ascending to first floor. Further return door to galley style kitchen. Fireplace (non functioning). Exposed ceiling beamwork. Five wall light points. Door to:
- 3.7m x 3.2m
- SITTING ROOM
- Exposed wall and ceiling beamwork. Fireplace recess (currently sealed). Wall mounted thermostat. Return door to:
- 4.2m x 3.1m
- INNER HALL
- Exposed wall and ceiling beamwork. Fitted with a range of book/display shelving to one wall. Small pane casement door to gardens at side.
- Galley style kitchen requiring total refurbishment. Power and light connected with glazed casement door to side. Area of exposed wall beamwork. Tiled floor covering.
- 5.1m x 3.2m
- BEDROOM 2
- Fitted with a range of wardrobe store cupboards with overhead storage having an area of open display shelving to side. Door to:
- 4.6m x 4.0m
- EN SUITE SHOWER ROOM
- Tiled shower cubicle with an adjacent low-level WC having a concealed cistern. Wall mounted wash hand basin. Tiled floor covering with contrasting tiled walls.
- BEDROOM 3
- Exposed wall and ceiling beamwork. Fireplace recess (currently sealed).
- 3.4m x 3.0m
- BEDROOM 4
- Alternative Study. Deep wardrobe set in recess with overhead store cupboard. Area of open display shelving.
- 3.6m x 2.1m
- Suite comprised of a panelled bath set in a wood panelled surround with tiled relief, vanity basin with store cupboard under and low-level WC. Angled airing cupboard incorporating pre-lagged hot water cylinder with fitted immersion heater.
- ON THE FIRST FLOOR
- BEDROOM 1
- A fine through room with exposed wall and ceiling beamwork. Three shallow steps to side ascend to an upper area with a useful loft area beyond.
- 8.2m x 3.2m
- DRESSING ROOM/BEDROOM 5
- Exposed wall and ceiling beamwork.
- 3.4m x 3.2m
- LOFT AREA
- For storage.
- 6.2m x 2.7m
- The property is approached off the road over a gravelled drive that features a cattle grid at its head. The driveway provides direct access to:
- DETACHED GARAGE/WORKSHOP
- Of colour washed brick construction surmounted by a pitched tiled roof. The complex has both power and light connected. Adjacent to the garaging complex, twin wooden gates open to a gravelled area suitable for parking an additional vehicle, with the upper area incorporating an area of decking.
- A series of timber/brick edged steps descend to a paved seating terrace that features an ornamental brick wall to one side. The gardens associated with the cottage, though somewhat overgrown, provide colour and interest with clearly defined boundaries. Adjacent to the cottage is a fine paved seating terrace featuring a well with further areas of decking and a substantial rockery to one side, with a small rill. The remainder of the garden is lawned, although somewhat overgrown, with a pedestrian gate. To the rear is a small area of paddock in the ownership of the Beaulieu Estate. We understand the paddock was at one stage rented by the owners and a similar arrangement maybe considered again.
- The services and equipment remaining with the property have not been tested by John D Wood & Co. and we are unable to verify that they are in working order
- FIXTURES & FITTINGS
- All items usually denominated as fixtures and fittings, apart from those mentioned specifically in these particulars, are excluded from the sale.
- From Lymington, continue down the High Street, bearing left into Gosport Street. At the mini-roundabout turn right and continue out over the causeway crossing over the Lymington River and proceed east on the B3054 toward Beaulieu. On descending the hill towards the village, the property is on the right hand side approximately 10 yards after the turning for Bucklers Hard.
- Strictly By Appointment through John D Wood & Co
MAINTAINED SCHOOL SECONDARYHeadteacher: Mr Matthew Longden
259 boys, 266 girls
(3.34 miles)Ages: 11-16yrs
ACADEMY SECONDARYHeadteacher: Mr Alex Bernard
580 boys, 501 girls
(3.36 miles)Ages: 11-16yrs
ACADEMY SECONDARYHeadteacher: Mr Chris Willsher Ba Med Npqh
615 boys, 610 girls
(6.29 miles)Ages: 11-16yrs
ACADEMY SECONDARYHeadteacher: Mrs J Turvey
610 boys, 602 girls
ADDRESSJacobs Gutter Lane,
(6.50 miles)Ages: 11-16yrs
MAINTAINED SCHOOL PRIMARYHeadteacher: Mrs Jane Noble
56 boys, 47 girls
(0.17 miles)Ages: 5-11yrs
MAINTAINED SCHOOL PRIMARYHead: Mr David Mewes
166 boys, 186 girls
(3.05 miles)Ages: 4-11yrs
MAINTAINED SCHOOL EARLY YEARS / NURSERYHeadteacher: Mrs Amanda Mullett
81 boys, 60 girls
(3.19 miles)Ages: 4-7yrs
MAINTAINED SCHOOL PRIMARYHeadteacher: Mr John Wright
93 boys, 83 girls
(3.25 miles)Ages: 7-11yrs